Advisory for Persons Attending PNP Mass Rally in Half Way Tree
The Police are advising delegates and supporters who will be attending the People’s National Party (PNP) Mass Rally on Sunday, January 31, that no firearms, knives, drugs, ice picks, machetes, umbrellas (walking stick type), glass bottles or any other items that can be used to cause serious harm or injury, will be allowed.
Traffic changes will take effect at 7:00 a.m., on Sunday, January 31 until midnight on Monday February 01.
Delegates and supporters are also further advised that all persons entering the rally will be subject to search.
The following must also be noted:
- No vending will be allowed.
- No provision will be made for the storage of prohibited or restricted items. Licensed firearm holders are being advised to leave their weapons with the local police or make alternative arrangements for safekeeping, as no firearms will be kept by the Half Way Tree Police.
WARNING TO MOTORISTS
Motorists are being reminded that all provisions of the Road Traffic Act will be strictly enforced.
In particular, drivers are being warned not to allow passengers to hang from the doors of motor buses, sit on top of motor vehicles, or have any part of the body whatsoever protruding from the motor vehicles. This is a dangerous practice, and has resulted in the loss of lives in previous years.
The Police are also imploring drivers to obey the speed limit, and to desist from dangerous and careless driving on the nation’s roads this weekend.
The full force of the law will be brought to bear on anyone found in contravention of any of the provisions of the law.
To facilitate the staging of the event the following roads will be closed to vehicular traffic. Motorists are being advised to use alternate routes where necessary.
- Constant Spring Road to the intersection at South Avenue
- Hope Road to the intersection at Winchester Avenue
- South Odean Avenue to the intersection at Eastwood Park Road
- Derrymore Road to the intersection at Eastwood Park Road
- Constant Spring Road to the intersection at Derrymore Road
- Constant Spring Road to the intersection at North Odean Avenue
Uniformed Police personnel will be posted along the routes to give direction and oversee the area, and motorists must obey all their instructions.
NO PARKING ZONE- No parking will be allowed along the following roads listed below:
- Suthermere Avenue
- South Odean Avenue
- Winchester Avenue
- Ruthven Road
- Hope Road
VIP’s and officials will park along Constant Spring Road between North Odeon Avenue and South Avenue. Additionally, fifty parking spaces for VIP will be at the top floor of the Half Way Tree Transportation Centre.
AFTER THE EVENT
- All road closures will be removed to allow for the free movement of traffic from Half Way Tree and its environs.